Thursday, February 14, 2013

27 weeks!

Today I'm 27 weeks pregnant. Time is flying now! The first trimester seemed to drag on and on, but since about week 15 time has just flown. Yikes!

I've scheduled our birthing class - it's a one off class, for 5 hours on a Saturday in March. We'd much rather do that than weekly classes, and my husband's work schedule has been a little crazy during the evenings lately so I think the Saturday class was our best bet. There's a tour of Labor & Delivery during the class, too, so that should be good.

We ordered our crib on Sunday night! We got it from Diapers.com - they had a special where you get a free mattress. Sold! We were going to order it from Target but they had an offer where you could get the same mattress for half price. Free is better than half price, obviously! The mattress arrived this morning and the crib arrived this afternoon! :)
I really want to get going with the nursery now. It would be nice to have the crib set up before my mom and stepdad arrive next Friday. If not by then, definitely by my baby shower. The shower was originally going to be at a friend's house, hosted by 3 friends, but the venue got changed to our house. That's fine, but I'm expecting that people will be wanting to see the nursery so it'd be nice to have it somewhat set up! We have some pictures to put up on the walls and I wanted to get some of those super cute wall decals, but we have textured walls so that wouldn't work. I'm thinking that we might be able to use them on the closet doors, though - we'll have to see if they'll work!

We're not painting the nursery, although I'd kind of like to. The whole house has white walls, which is fine because nothing clashes, you know? Part of me would like to paint the nursery, but I think we'll probably leave it as it is and just brighten it up with pictures and furnishings - we might get a nice colorful rug for the floor. We already bought a laundry basket which came with a bunch of smaller baskets - I figured the small baskets would be useful for things like baby toiletries and small things like socks, burp cloths etc. We haven't ordered a dresser yet, but hopefully we'll do that soon. We didn't get the one that matches our crib, because it was like $400 and the 4-way convertible crib was only $209! The dresser seemed to be a bit of a rip off, honestly. I guess they price the crib like that to pull you in so you'll pay through the nose for the matching items. I'm sure whatever we end up with will look just fine, anyway! :)

I can't believe it's only a little over 2 weeks until my shower!! My friends wanted to throw it when my mom is here, so they picked Sunday March 3rd. I'll be 29 weeks 3 days then. It's probably a little earlier than most baby showers, but the plus side is that I shouldn't be too uncomfortable by that point. I'd hate to have my shower at 36 weeks or something like that! Now being from the UK I've never, ever been to a baby shower so I have to admit I don't really know what to expect. It'll be interesting, that's for sure! I think baby showers are becoming a "thing" in the UK now, but they never really were when I lived there. It'll be an experience! I think we'll have about 25 people here in total. My friends are coming a couple of hours before the shower starts to get things set up, and they said they'll clean up afterwards too. I'm not allowed to help with anything, although I keep offering, LOL. I really appreciate that they're going to all this trouble for me, I really never expected to have a baby shower in the first place.

So as I said, my mom and stepdad arrive a week tomorrow. They're staying with us from 2/22 until 3/9. I think my Narcissist dad has really put me off having house-guests, because even though I should be looking forward to it I'm kind of dreading it. I don't know why, because I know they'd never act the way he did. I'm sure they'll be good house-guests. I think I just kind of like our normal routine and not having to consider other people very much. Wow, that sounds really selfish - I promise I'm not, I just like my privacy! :) At least they'll have a car so they can go off and do things. They're going up to Sedona and spending a night there, and they're also going down to Tucson for a day. They have a horseback riding trip planned for one day, too. I don't know what else they'll be doing, maybe they'll go to the zoo (or both zoos, LOL). We have a big adoption event one of the weekends they're here, and they said they want to come and help out there. Fine by me - I'll sit down and do paperwork, haha. 

We had a foster pug for a few weeks, but he really wasn't working out with our own pugs (he kept snapping at them for no reason) so we had to give him to a different foster home. I just found out last night that we're getting a new foster on Saturday, he's 9 years old and hopefully sweet like most of them have been previously! Out of 10 fosters we've only had one not work out, so that's not a bad record at all. We did give him a chance, but 3 weeks with no improvement is kind of ridiculous. He's 12 years old and honestly not that adoptable, which wouldn't bother me at all, but if he was going to continue being that way I couldn't imagine fostering him for a year or more - especially with a baby on the way! I'm looking forward to getting our new foster, anyway. It just sucks that we have to drive almost an hour to get him - we were looking forward to a quiet weekend with nothing planned, since it'll be our last quiet weekend for about a month!). I think we're picking up 3 pugs, though, to bring them back to our side of town (we're fostering 1, the other 2 will go to other foster homes) - so it's a very worthwhile couple of hours of driving. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment