Monday, June 13, 2011

Intro

My husband and I are trying to conceive our first baby, so I figured I'd start a blog to chart our journey!

So far we're in the very early stages of 'trying' - I came off my birth control pills on May 21st. At the moment we're just having fun seeing what happens - we're hoping that I'll get pregnant of course, but not doing any crazy charting or temperature-taking or timings... The reason for that is mainly because my cycle is still messed up from being on birth control, but also because we don't want to get really stressed about baby-making. We figure if we relax about it then maybe it's more likely to happen. Of course we don't know yet if our theory will work, but it does mean that we can make love without it feeling like a robotic act! :)

I've been having cramps on and off for the past couple of weeks, which I figure is part of my body getting back to 'normal' after birth control. I suspect I may be ovulating around now, because since last night I've had lots and lots of cervical mucous (gross, I know!) and apparently that's a sign of ovulation. If that's the case, we could well be making a baby this month! I don't really expect to become pregnant this quickly but I'm hoping that I will, even if the chances are relatively small. If I'm ovulating now, then I should get my period in about 2 weeks (give or take a couple of days). I'm working on the assumption that my cycles should be 28 days but they could be shorter or longer, I have no idea! My periods used to be really regular before birth control but that was quite a while ago, so I don't know what they'll do now.

We're not anticipating problems with our fertility, but you just never know. I've never tried to get pregnant before, I've only ever tried not to, so now that we're trying to conceive it feels a little strange I must admit! I'm both excited and nervous at the same time, which I assume is natural! :)

One thing I'm finding hard is not telling people we're trying to get pregnant... On the one hand I want to tell everyone, but the sensible side of me knows it's not a good idea. I mean, it would just add to the stress if people were always asking if I'm pregnant yet. I know for a fact that we can't tell my in-laws because they're so looking forward to being grandparents and I know my mother-in-law would ask about it all the time! Hubby and I agreed not to tell her that I've come off birth control, so she won't be tempted to enquire about my pregnancy status constantly!

The only person I've told is one of my friends who had a baby 6 weeks ago, because she'd emailed me and said at the end, "If you're thinking about having babies I'd definitely recommend it!" - so I told her. I kind of want to tell my own parents but again, I think it could potentially add to the stress. I think it's better to tell them when there's actually something to tell them - when we have a confirmed pregnancy. I think we'd tell our parents as soon as it's been confirmed, by blood test and/or ultrasound. I know a lot of people wait until they're at least 12 weeks along before announcing it to people, and I do agree with that, but when it comes to your parents it's a little different. I'd want their support if, God forbid, anything were to go wrong. Hopefully we'll never be in that situation, but you never know. As for everyone else, I'd want to tell 2 or 3 friends I think, but that would be it until later on. The friends I'd want to tell are friends who already have their kids, not the ones who don't. I don't know why but I'm thinking it's probably because they'll understand more and I'll probably be able to get good advice and support from them. Somewhat ironically, they're not my best friends either, but they are very good friends.

Of course all of this might change once we actually are expecting, I might want to tell my best friends too. Judging by how I feel now, wanting to tell people we're just trying, I probably will! What can I say? It's an exciting time! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment